Monday, April 25, 2011

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)


(First of all, SO sorry for slacking in my posting! Thanks Craig for keeping it up!)

Okay, so, Jesus Christ Superstar! This rock opera tells the story of Christ from just before his arrival in Jerusalem to his crucifixion. It opens with a bus arriving in a desert, and all the players unpacking the props, their costumes. It's a show, every word is sung, it's deliberately anachronistic (ie sooooo 70s) and it's all over the place.

I won't really get into the religious aspect of this film (some say it's blasphemous...I was raised Catholic, but no longer practice and I love this movie). I will say that in spite of the theatrics, it has some very touching moments. Carl Anderson as Judas knocks it out of the park with his tormented portrayal of the most famous traitor of all. And that voice! He's just so good (check the video below)!

It's colorful, campy at times, but at the end of the day it's a very moving and original film that I very much recommend.





No comments:

Post a Comment