Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Raging Bull (1980)

Film: Raging Bull (194/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

It surprises me how much I enjoy this one. While I always appreciate the artistry of Martin Scorsese's filmmaking, sometimes I can find some of his films a little testosterone-y and I don't enjoy watching women get smacked around. But there's something about this film. For one, it's one of the best-looking films I've ever seen, black and white or otherwise. The lighting is magic, especially in the boxing scenes. And everybody is just LIVING their roles. It doesn't feel like I'm watching actors. I feel like I'm watching real people fumbling and fighting through life. De Niro is an animal, and his transformation from the lean mean fighting machine to the bloated and pathetic shadow of his former self is extraordinary. It's mind-blowing that it's the same guy. From the photography to the meticulous choreography of the fights to the dynamic performances, this is a film I'll be revisiting and appreciating again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment