Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Rio Bravo (1959)

Film: Rio Bravo (187/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I don't know, you guys. I haven't decided yet if I liked or disliked this film. At any rate, I didn't love it. My experience with westerns has been all over the place. I've seen some that blew me away, and some that left me cold. This one falls somewhat toward the latter. This is essentially a hang-out movie, which I didn't know going in... I was surprised by how aimless it felt at times. And while I very much enjoyed Dean Martin as deputy sheriff Dude and Walter Brennan as Stumpy (sounding very much like the announcer guy from Disneyland's Big Thunder Railroad...are my southern California roots showing?), I was distracted by Feathers (Angie Dickinson, who is absolutely dynamite in her own right) throwing herself at John Wayne the whole time. The age difference feels much greater than 24 years, and these Hollywood romances between young women and much older men give me the heebie-jeebies. But that's just me. All in all, I'm going with "okayish" for this one. But apparently it's one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite films, so what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment