Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Wild Bunch (1969)

Film: The Wild Bunch (96/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

There have been a few films on this list that I went into expecting to dislike. In some cases I was proven wrong (My Darling Clementine, Red River), but unfortunately in this case, it went about how I thought it would. The story just didn't grab me, and it felt like one loooooong shootout. So much testosterone, so many gunshots. The film certainly looked great, I really enjoyed Holden's acting (who doesn't?), and the Mexico scenes were the most enjoyable for me. I could see director Sam Peckinpah's love for the country in these scenes. But overall this film just wasn't my cup of tea, and it didn't stay with me in any significant way (I'm writing this almost a month after watching it). I'm incredibly picky with westerns in general, and it seems I prefer the older romanticized westerns of the 30s - 50s, with less blood being splattered everywhere...

Yawn. Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment