Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Seventh Seal (1957)

Film: The Seventh Seal (158/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch


I used to be convinced that Max von Sydow was a time traveler. Before I knew much about The Seventh Seal, I assumed it was a very VERY old movie, and I knew he was in it. I also knew that he was in The Exorcist playing a very old man. But...he's still acting?! Tricky Max von Sydow.

Anyway, I really like this film. Despite being about Death collecting victims and the Black Plague, it has a playful mischievous quality to it. It feels very old and timeless, like they somehow time-traveled (not that again!) and actually filmed in the Middle Ages, but with a modern sense of disillusionment and introspection. And Max von Sydow is just so good. What a great face! I was happy to revisit this wonderfully shot and provocative gem. 


No comments:

Post a Comment