Thursday, September 8, 2016

Ratcatcher (1999)


Since I recently became a father, I've been thinking a lot about motivation. I find myself staring at my daughter as she plays with her toys and I wonder how she decides what to do with which toys? What synapses are firing when she decides to smash two hunks of plastic together? What makes her suddenly decide to lick one item rather than another? Those same thoughts came to me as I was re-watching Ratcatcher.

At first I chocked it up to the fact that I am not Scottish and therefore am missing a lot of cultural nuance. But then there would be moments where Lynn Ramsay's camera is clearly suggesting that these characters don't know why they are doing things either. Why lie about not seeing someone's glasses when they are clearly right there? Why get on a bus when you have no idea where you are headed? Is all the trash around them affecting them like in an Antonioni film? So many questions and I love pondering every one of them. Such a beautiful film.

No comments:

Post a Comment