Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Double Life of Veronique (1991)

Film: The Double Life of Veronique (109/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch


You didn't have to twist my arm to get me to revisit this one! I wrote about the music in this film a couple years ago, and the music remains my favorite thing about this film. The story is about two women, identical, their lives doubling each other, with a shared passion for music. They sense the other, without knowing exactly what it is they're feeling. It's a haunting and beautiful story and the music accompanies it perfectly; it's practically a separate character. The idea of living a life alongside a double, and the weight of that knowledge...it's sobering. And the responsibility felt if something happens to the double...

Irene Jacob does an extraordinary job of playing both Weronika and Veronique. I'm eager to watch her in another film for this project; Three Colors: Red. Until then, I'll have her serene face bathed in green light forever in my memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment