Monday, November 9, 2015

Election 2/Traid Election (2006)


My film collection is filled with all sorts of strays. Though there are now seven Fast & Furious films, I only own one and it's number five. Though I don't own Captain America: The First Avenger, I sure as heck own Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Sometimes this is a reflection on the quality of the film. For example, I don't see myself ever owning the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man. But sometimes the decision is simply economical.

As much as I enjoyed the first Election film, the second one is far and away the better film. It does everything that the first one does but in a more artful manner. Rather than repeating the manic chase film energy of the first outing, this one adopts the melancholic tone of a funeral dirge. And like The Godfather Part II, it expands beyond the borders of this insular society of gangsters to address sociopolitical issues of the world at large. Eventually I will own the first film, but when funds are limited, you have to go with the one that truly speaks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment