Thursday, June 4, 2015

Little Children (2006)


It's so weird seeing which films get Oscar "heat" and which ones do not. When director Todd Field's debut feature In the Bedroom came out in 2001, trade ads were ubiquitous. Eventually garnering five Academy Award nominations, it was the little movie that could. When I finally saw the film, I found it to be simply OK. But all that industry attention had me wondering if I had missed something. What was I not seeing? As a result, I avoided seeing Little Children in theaters. When I finally caught up with it on DVD, I was blown away. This was a film! Strong performances, a distinct (yet subtle) visual style, a clear point of view, biting humor and disturbing insights into human nature. For me, this was the complete cinematic package. So of course there was no hype for this film and despite three Oscar nods, it is largely forgotten. But then again, In the Bedroom has been forgotten too. Time makes equals of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment