Monday, June 10, 2013

We Own The Night (2007)

A New York nightclub manager (Joaquin Phoenix) finds himself caught between the vicious Russian Mafia and his police officer family (Mark Wahlberg and Robert Duvall).

*      *      *

I went into this film prepared not to like it. My first experience with the work of James Gray had not been a particularly great cinematic experience. Back in February I watched Gray's 2000 film, The Yards and found it to be insanely maudlin and self-serious. Yes the performances and cinematography were great, but it seemed to think that it was The Godfather and On The Waterfront when it was clearly just an average melodrama. So why did I even attempt this film? One word: Cannes.

Of the five films James Gray has directed, four have been in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. Of course bad/mediocre films slip into Cannes all the time, but four times? That's serious Jim Jarmusch/Coen Brothers/Lars Von Trier territory right there. The Festival loves to play favorites and this guy Gray is clearly one. Perhaps I missed something on the first go-around? And so in the interest of fairness, I decided to give Mr. Gray a second try, and boy am I glad I did.

Going in with the bias that I had, the film really had to finesse me. This took a bit of time as the cast, the fashions, the decor, the color pallet all brought to mind The Yards. The somewhat clunky, semi-predictable set-up was no help either. But by the time  things get "personal" for Bobby, I was completely on board. Once all the pieces are in place, nothing seems forced and both cast and crew are firing on all cylinders. Bobby's journey just sucks you right in. And though this is much more of a drama than an action film, I must say that the set-pieces are both beautiful and exciting. A great job all around.

But could this viewing experience be the exception and sub-par The Yards be the rule? Possibly. Guess I'll have to check out Two Lovers and The Immigrant to find out. I think I can skip Little Odessa though.

No comments:

Post a Comment