Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rise of the Guardians (2012)


The children of the world are protected by immortal "guardians," defenders of those children who believe in them.  North (Santa Claus), the Sandman, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy must band together when Pitch Black, the Boogeyman, threatens the children with endless nightmares that will cause them to lose their innocent belief in their protectors. Things get interesting when the unlikely Jack Frost is chosen to join their ranks.

I haven't been so pleasantly surprised by a movie in a long time! My sister picked it to watch last Sunday night and I was kind of like "Okaaaaay..." but I got sucked right in! The story is creative, the animation is excellent and I loved the original take on our beloved childhood characters. Santa Claus with tattoos? An Australian Easter bunny? Yes please! I had a lot of fun watching this. I really appreciate when children's films aren't afraid to be dark and scary at times. It's good for them! I might have to add this one to my future child's collection of good-but-scary films, along with ParaNorman and Coraline. And now I want to read the books too!

If you're a fan of good animation or just like an interesting story, I very much recommend this one. It's not flawless, but it's surprisingly enjoyable and reminds us all to hold onto that sense of wonder we all had as kids! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This was my favorite animated film of 2012! Tracie's too. Glad you gave it a shot and liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete