Monday, April 1, 2013

All About My Mother (1999)

After her son is killed in a car accident, Manuela (Ceclia Roth) travels to Barcelona in order to inform the boy's estranged father. I'll just leave it at that...

*      *      *

This was my first Almodóvar film. I'd heard the name a few times, but my still-forming film brain hadn't really branched out into world cinema yet.  I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing about Pedro's particular brand of cinema...which is why I brought my grandparents with me. They'd gone with me to see Life Is Beautiful the year prior and seeing as the film is in Spanish this seemed like a perfect fit for mis abuelos Mexicanos. Admittedly, things did get a little awkward during the first scene with Agrado (you couldn't help but notice my grandpa starting to squirm in his seat) yet surprisingly, we stayed through the entire film. Even more surprisingly, my grandparents really enjoyed it. This film is that good! The colors and the characters are so wonderful that audiences cannot help but get caught  up in their spell. I have not missed an Almodóvar film since. Though my grandparents did take a little bit of a "Pedro break" after this film, they did return to the fold for Volver.

1 comment:

  1. My first, and only, Almodovar was Bad Education! I still haven't got around to more because there are oh so many movies I want to see. But I've been intending to see more for aaaages. Maybe this could be my next!

    ReplyDelete