Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Avengers (2012)


Let me start this by saying I am not an Avengers superfan. As of this writing, I haven't seen Iron Man 2 or any of the Hulk movies, nor have I read a single superhero comic book. I was worried that this film would be appreciated only by people very familiar with all the backstories (remind me what S.H.I.E.L.D. is again?) and that I would be sitting there very confused.

So glad I was wrong! This movie is FUN. It has crazy superhero action, funny quips (mostly from Downey Jr as Iron Man, go figure) and it doesn't alienate non-fans with you-have-to-read-the-comic moments. I suppose I saw enough of the superhero movies (Thor, Captain America and Iron Man) to follow it, but I had such a good time watching it that I didn't mind the very few moments of WTFness. What exactly is a "tesseract"? Who cares! Did I just see the Hulk beat up a jet? Yes, yes I did. Speaking of the Hulk, he's by far the best part. While other characters get their little one-liner jabs in, the Hulk just pummels people. Awesome!

The characters all get their little moment in the sun, Loki's pretty awesome as far as villains go (he's like the Pete Campbell of supervillains: jealous, petty, and greasy-looking), and it's a damn good ride. I haven't had that much fun in a movie theatre in a while! Go see it!

And who the hell is Thanos?

No comments:

Post a Comment