Friday, April 13, 2012

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Mickey (Woody Harrelson) and Mallory Knox (Juliette Lewis) rampage across the country killing nearly everyone in their path. Like the title says, they're natural born killers.

*      *      *

I saw this movie in the 6th grade, which according to the MPAA, means I was 4 years too young. The general consensus is that a movie like this is not good for impressionable minds. It might plant ideas! And boy did it ever! But not the ideas they were trying to protect me from. It didn't make me want to rape, torture or murder. It made me want to make movies. The film-stocks, the camera-angles, the music and the sound effects had me hooked from the very first scene. I finally understood what a director does. Later that year I wrote my first screenplay. I don't care how much Quentin Tarantino's original screenplay was altered. This here's the rattler that bit me. If they ever find an antidote, I don't want to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment