Thursday, March 22, 2012

Blade Runner (1982)

Deckard (Harrison Ford) is a Blade Runner charged with hunting down and killing a group of rogue cyborgs known as Replicants.

*      *      *

I know this might make me sound like a heretic (especially with everyone (myself included) fawning all over the Prometheus trailer) but I don't really worship at the altar of Ridley Scott. While I do find his work consistently beautiful and beyond reproach in technique, rarely do I find myself giving a shit about any  of his characters. Once the movie is over, it's over. I don't really think about it anymore. Blade Runner is a notable exception. Though in an interesting twist, the characters I feel for are the non-humans. I empathize with the Replicants. These poor guys and gals are already cursed with a drastically limited lifespan, and then along comes angel-of-death Deckard to make their lives even shorter. They just want more life. Is that really so bad? Isn't that what we all want? What would you do to live another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment