Friday, October 21, 2011

Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn (1987)


Ash (Bruce Campbell) and Linda (Denise Bixler) head to a secluded cabin in the woods. While there, they happen to unleash an evil force that is hell bent on swallowing their souls.

*      *      *

Growing up I didn't really watch horror films. The poster/box art for Child's Play 2 scared the shit out of 7-year-old me so I steered clear of that part of the video store. All of that changed the summer before high school when my friend Graham decided it was finally time for me to experience the Evil Dead Trilogy. Over the course of maybe 2 nights I was rapidly introduced to the lo-fi world of tree-rape, blood-geysers and chainsaw-hands. From here there was no going back.

As much as I love the whole trilogy, I find myself loving the 2nd film a little bit more. In the first film you get a lot of scares with a few giggles and in the 3rd film you get lots of giggles and an occasional spook. Porridge too hot, porridge too cold. But with the 2nd film they got the mixture, "just right!" It's like an insane tennis game between horror and comedy. Back and forth, back and forth. As the poster clearly states, "kiss your nerves good-bye!" Is this a remake? Is this a sequel? Does it really matter? Groovy!

No comments:

Post a Comment