Thursday, June 4, 2020

It’s Tricky To Say


Lola really likes David Lynch’s latest animated short Fire (Pozar). Part of her morning routine is watching his weather reports on YouTube. When the short premiered I asked if she would be interested in checking it out. Her initial review was:

"That is great. I think that a great movie. When the ghost come out and spook us, I don't know if he a good guy or a bad guy. It's a little spooky."

She’s since seen it two more times. Today she finally got around to asking me what it’s about. The best I’ve been able to come up with was making a comparison to one of her catchphrases.


When Lola is struggling to express something, she usually says “it’s tricky to say”. Today I was able to explain that art is what people use when something is “tricky to say”. They dance it, make a song about it, make a movie about it, paint it. This made sense to her.


I’m hoping that this idea sticks. It took me way too long to understand this concept myself. It’ll really put her ahead of the curve both as a spectator and potentially as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment