Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Sight & Sound Challenge: Greed (1924)


Film: Greed (226/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

There's something kinda magical about silent films. I used to watch them every week back in high school thanks to Turner Classic Movies and their "Silent Sunday Nights". They were my gateway into the world of classic film and they hold a special place in my heart. Having said that, a four hour silent film (cut down from its original 9 hours, good grief!) is a lot for anyone to sit through. Luckily I was a lot more engaged than I expected to be. The plot concerns interwoven tales of greed (obviously) between two different couples, and an elderly couple who is wise enough to not let money be an issue between them. There is backstabbing, violence, murder, and some pretty chilling visuals; the one above in particular haunted me. Greed is a bit of an undertaking to watch, but apparently it was a bigger undertaking to make, and I think director Erich von Stroheim deserves my attention for it. It's important to me to see films from those early days of cinema, when everything was new and filmmakers were exploring new territory. I'm just in awe of their talent, from making little shorts to making epics like this in such a short amount of time. Makes you feel lazy, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment