Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Out 1 (1971)

Film: Out 1 (225/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Okay guys, I don't even know what to say about this one. I sat through 743 minutes of a film (in installments, of course, I have a job and a life, haha) and I felt nothing at the end of it. The story involves two different theater troupes, a young thief and a young man who becomes involved in unraveling a potential secret society. Their paths cross now and again, but really, this barely had a plot. There were looooong rehearsal scenes that were tedious to get through, Jean-Pierre Léaud was weird and creepy, and by the time the film introduced anything that resembled a plotline, I found that I didn't care. Frédérique (Juliet Berto) and Lucie (Françoise Fabian) were probably the most interesting characters for me...great faces and compelling presences, but everyone else was just eye-rollingly pretentious. I probably went into this with the wrong mindset, just trying to cross it off my list, but I think I would've gotten way more out of this if it was two or three hours instead of twelve. But don't listen to my cranky rantings...from the different reviews I've read, it seems this film means a lot to a lot of people, and the mystery is worth unraveling. So watch it for yourself! As of right now the entire thing is streaming on Netflix. Just be ready for long stretches of actors dancing, rolling around on the floor, yelling and screaming, rubbing their feet on each other's faces (no really), and general artiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment