Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010)

Film: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (217/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Greetings from the laziest blogger/film watcher on earth! There's just something about summer that makes me want to watch Steven Spielberg movies over and over and complete ignore my blogging responsibilities for the five of you who might be reading this (okay, okay, four of you). Needless to say I've been vacationing and doing fun things and generally NOT watching strange films about ghost monkeys and catfish sex. Which brings me to Uncle Boonmee (yes, it has ghost monkeys and catfish sex). This Thai film tells the story of a dying man who is reflecting on his life, communicating with the ghosts of his loved ones, and exploring the origins of some of his past lives. It's a visually compelling film, with some of the most beautiful night photography I've ever seen. And okay, maybe the ghost monkeys with their glowing red eyes remind me a little too much of The Amityville Horror (my first cinema-related trauma), but they're definitely memorable. Aside from the visuals, I'm afraid the film lacked an emotional connection for me. Maybe the bizarre scenarios (again, SEX WITH A CATFISH) held me at a distance. I can definitely appreciate aspects of this film, but overall I was left with lukewarm feelings towards it. Here's hoping I get more out of the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment