Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Film: Last Year at Marienbad (219/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

After Hiroshima Mon Amour failed to knock my socks off, I fully expected to feel lukewarm about this one. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself engaged despite having no idea what was going on for a while. Once I realized that it was okay to feel lost, that maybe that was the point, I felt free to really explore this film. Last Year at Marienbad reminded me of countless other films, including Carnival of Souls (that eerie score!) and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (the ethereal labyrinth of memory). It gave me a strange sense of déjà vu as I watched, a feeling like I was spying on people's memories, or like I'd been told these stories before in a dream. The sets are beautiful and meticulously arranged; the shot above in particular gave me chills in its austere precision. A haunting, strange, and memorable film, this one gave me and Craig plenty to talk about afterwards. It was hard to track down, but well worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment