Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Earth (1930)

Film: Earth (221/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I had a hard time getting into this one. From the beginning I was disoriented; a series of closeups gave me no sense of where any of the characters were. Prolonged shots of wailing women left me wondering what they were wailing about before any explanation was offered. The action jumped from working the fields, to dancing, to characters yelling back and forth. This story of farmers confronting collectivization was equal parts aimless and dull. The most exciting part of the movie was a montage of bread being made. Oh, and there was suddenly a naked woman. By the end of the film, things were starting to make a bit of sense, but I found it difficult to care much. I'm writing this immediately after watching it, however, and I haven't let the film settle in my brain. This is the best I can do right now! Not an essential watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment