Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Spring in a Small Town (1948)

Film: Spring in a Small Town (213/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I don't know, guys. I think I'm getting to the point of this challenge where I just want to reach that finish line. And maybe I'm not paying enough attention to really take these films in....if I'm not doing that, then what's the point? I did a little research about Spring in a Small Town, and I found it hailed as one of the finest Chinese films ever made. When I finished watching, I couldn't help but wonder if I watched the same movie. What cinephiles praised as a delicately restrained and naturally acted film, I found incredibly dull. The actors seemed stiff, the narration excessive...I don't know, I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe I need to rewatch it, or maybe *gasp* I didn't like a beloved film! As Judy Garland sings in In The Good Old Summertime, "I don't caaaaare, I don't caaaaare..." I find this happening more and more. I probably would benefit from a rewatch. The premise of a love quadrangle is definitely interesting on paper, and maybe I need a second viewing to appreciate the subtlety ouf this film. As it stands, however, this film gets a big shrug from me. And future films in this challenge will get much more of my focus so that if I don't like a movie, I'll know without a doubt in my mind that I don't like a movie. Ah well, not every film will appeal to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment