Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Pierrot le Fou (1965)

Film: Pierrot le Fou (204/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

What a wacky little movie. It feels less like a film and more like pop art, jumping off the screen, mussing our hair, and hitting us in the face with a cake. It was plenty entertaining visually, with vibrant colors popping like fireworks. Anna Karina and Jean-Paul Belmondo are pouty and sexy throughout, driving fast cars and blowing things up. It's flashy, it's wild, it's edgy, and yet...not my favorite Godard. It's a little manic, and I don't know if it's one I'll revisit too often. But it felt to me like a perfect bridge between his earlier work which I enjoy and his later work that I can't quite get behind. And anyway, how can you beat that ending? Not perfect, but definitely Godard.

No comments:

Post a Comment