Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Caché (2005)

Film: Caché (201/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Imagine finding a package on your doorstep with a videotape (or DVD, whatever). And when you watch it, you see footage of your own home. Somebody is watching you. Are you angry? Scared? Intrigued? I personally would have moved away immediately, but then we would have no movie. And that's before the drawings arrived...

Georges (Daniel Auteuil) and Anne (Juliette Binoche) are a couple dealing with precisely that. Mysterious packages and letters arrive, with no clues to their origin. Or perhaps one of them knows more than they're letting on. This is a film that provides more questions than answers. I believed everyone and no one. It was a little maddening in its ambiguity. I would think I had some of it figured out, and then another piece would be missing from the puzzle. The only other film that I've seen by director Michael Haneke is the remake of Funny Games (which RUINED MY LIFE by the way; I'm still recovering) but I'm starting to think that he's not a fan of clean resolutions. I'll be mulling over the facts for a while, but even if I feel fairly satisfied with what I think happened in this film, there will still be the question of "But what if that's not it at all?"

No comments:

Post a Comment