Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Tree of Life (2011)

Film: The Tree of Life (196/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

This is an incredibly moving film. When I first saw it on the big screen, it blew me away. Scenes of childhood, of motherhood and fatherhood, juxtaposed with breathtaking images of space and creation...it's overwhelming and comforting somehow. All of this has happened before, and it will all happen long after we're gone. Love, power struggles, hurt, compassion, grief, it connects us all. A quick glance at the user reviews on IMDb shows that many find this film pretentious and pointless, but I guess that depends on what you bring to it. Watching it as a mom brought me to tears. Jessica Chastain's portrayal of a mother whose love for her children seems to be her reason for living is so beautiful (this is the first thing I saw Chastain in and I just love her) and her presence really elevates the film. If you're watching for a basic beginning-to-end story, then you will find it pointless. It's just meant to be experienced. There is a note at the beginning of the film to watch it loud, and I couldn't agree more. Let the images and the music overwhelm you, let it wash over you like a baptism. This is art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment