Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Passenger (1975)

Film: The Passenger (200/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time 

YOU GUYS. I made it to 200! Only 50 left to go! I honestly didn't expect to make it this far. True, I have some intimidating films still to get through, but I'm just taking a moment to say GO ME!

Okay, back to the movie. This was an interesting watch for me. I fell asleep halfway through my first attempt to watch this film (nothing against this film, I fall asleep all the time) and I rewatched the second half the next day. But since I had been drifting in and out of consciousness the first time, I had this sense of déjà vu that colored my viewing the second time. Two men that look enough alike switch lives. A fate that the main character almost seems to anticipate. A relentless pursuit of...what? Any kind of change? I wanted to jump into the movie, shake Jack Nicholson's character, and warn him against his recklessness. I have a feeling he would have shrugged and said he already knew. Speaking of Jack Nicholson: while I didn't necessarily have a problem with his performance, it's the kind of role that I'd like to see a variety of different actors attempt, to see what they'd bring to it. Nicholson had a kind of restrained melancholy, even when he seemed to be enjoying himself in his little scheme. And that camerawork? I have no idea how some of those shots were even accomplished. The use of flashbacks was really interesting too. Lots to focus on, lots to think about. Who are we? How easy would it be to inhabit another life? Could we pull it off? 

No comments:

Post a Comment