Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)

Film: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (199/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

What a delightful and bizarre little movie. I had to laugh when my mom texted me while I was watching this, wanting to know what I was doing. "Watching a bizarre little French surrealist comedy from the 70s." A day in the life, indeed. Writer/director Luis Buñuel has been a newish discovery for me since I started this challenge (I believe I had only seen Belle de Jour (1967)) and while his films aren't always a total home run for me, I can't say I ever found his work boring or predictable. This film was hilarious in its absurdity. A group of friends attempts to get together for dinner but their plans are constantly interrupted through more and more improbable events. We were cracking up at the different scenarios: restaurant staff mourning over the body of the recently deceased owner in the back room while trying to convince the dinner party that they're totally fine to serve them food, a priest applying to be a gardener, a couple ditching their dinner guests to sneak out their bedroom window to go have sex in the woods, a woman getting incredibly drunk very quickly and having to be dragged out of the house after just arriving...it goes on and on. Having said that, it does lose steam in the second half, but it doesn't drag the film down too much. Overall it was a delightfully strange experience, and a welcome break from the monotony of daily life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment