Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: An Autumn Afternoon (1962)

Film: An Autumn Afternoon (195/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Is this my first Ozu film in color? I think it might be. It's also my favorite Ozu that I've watched so far. Granted, I still haven't seen A Tokyo Story (1953), which is #3 on Sight & Sound's last poll and believed by many to be his finest work. It's a story that's reminiscent of his other films, focusing on family relationships and traditions, but it doesn't feel stale. The vibrant color and vibrant supporting characters breathe life into what might have been a humdrum film. I really love Ozu's recurring leading man Chishu Ryu as a father who must decide if it's time to "marry off" his daughter. Another bright spot in the film his daughter-in-law Akiko (Mariko Okada) who doesn't put up with anything. It's a great-looking and engaging film, and a worthy addition to anyone's collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment