Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)

Film: Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (185/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time 

Oh, my heart! This story of forbidden love was surprisingly effective. The film starts out looking like a documentary about the people of Bora Bora (featuring actual South Sea islanders! How refreshing!) and becomes a moving story of two lovers and their attempts to live a free life together. I really really liked this one. It feels so real, the people look like they actually live this life, and I loved how natural it all felt. And the story, man, it gutted me. I was cheering on the lovers the whole time, and held my breath through every twist and turn. It's a beautifully told story that's sure to stay with me for a long time, and definitely my favorite of director F. W. Murnau's that I've seen so far. Worth a watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment