Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Mirror (1975)

Film: Mirror (188/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Love it or hate it, you can't say Andrei Tarkovsky's work isn't interesting. His films have left me intrigued, confused, and mesmerized. This was no different, although I was a lot more lost than usual. I watched this with Craig, and while we marveled over the visuals (seriously gorgeous), at one point we looked at each other and said "I have no idea what's going on." That's been the case for several of the films on this list, but at least this one had enough to appreciate visually. The images were haunting and unforgettable. There's one sequence of a woman with wet hair hanging over her face. She's just kind of swaying with her arms out, and then it shows the room dripping water, crumbling apart...it's so eerie. I'd need to watch this a second time if I were to attempt to make any kind of sense of it, but for now I'll just enjoy remembering its inscrutable charms.

No comments:

Post a Comment