Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Hiroshima mon amour (1959)

Film: Hiroshima mon amour (184/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

What a curious film. My initial reaction was that I wasn't quite sure if I liked it or not. While beautifully photographed and acted, the opening to the film was jarring. An unidentified woman speaks of her memories of Hiroshima, of seeing horrifying images at a museum, while an unidentified man tells her she saw nothing, she remembers nothing. All the while this strange music plays; it's almost jolly. Is she fetishizing the tragedy? Is he really calling her out or are we only hearing his thoughts? The rest of the film is a series of conversations, flashbacks, painful memories. It's intriguing but it kept me at a distance. And it must be said, and not just because we just lost her, but Emmanuelle Riva is just lovely. What a wonderful face. I need to see more of her work. And perhaps I need to revisit this one. I need to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment