Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Sight and Sound Challenge: I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)

Film: I Know Where I'm Going! (191/250)
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

This film started out promising enough. I really loved Roger Livesey in The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and Wendy Hiller cracked me up in Pygmalion. The opening sequence was full of wit and it seemed to be off to a good start, but the momentum died pretty quickly for me. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very engaged, and as much as I liked the leads individually, they didn't excite me much together. I had similar feelings about another Powell/Pressburger film, A Cantebury Tale: it was inoffensive enough, but gentle and pleasant to the point of becoming inert. With both films, about halfway through, I had the thought "Oh. I guess this is it." And I don't feel this way about all of their films; The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, and The Tales of Hoffman are some of the most visually gorgeous and rich films I've ever seen. Maybe I just need Technicolor and a heavy dose of drama. And maybe I'll feel differently about this film after a rewatch, but for now it was just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment