Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Life of Oharu (1952)

Film: The Life of Oharu (182/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

This challenge introduced me to Kenji Mizoguchi, whose work I'd never seen. Now having seen four of his films, I think I have a general idea of his whole thing. His movies have women at the heart of the story, and his movies are SAD AS HELL. Seriously! While this movie didn't break my heart quite as much as Sansho the Bailiff (from which I'm still recovering), there was little joy to be found here. Oharu's life is filled with suffering from beginning to end. She is abandoned, mocked, humiliated, raped, exiled. Of course it looks beautiful and the story is compelling. It's just really really depressing, as one could gather from my brief and bleak summary. But it's definitely worth a watch, just don't forget the tissues!

No comments:

Post a Comment