Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

Film: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (177/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

This oh-so-British film about war, friendship, love, aging, and self-reflection was a pleasant surprise for me. I was a little put off by the runtime and had avoided watching it sooner. And while it did take a little while for me to get into it (and it could stand to be a smidge shorter), I ended up really enjoying it. First of all, I was really blown away by probably the best old-age makeup I've ever seen. The effect is a combination of excellent acting by Roger Livesey and makeup, but it's really unbelievable that it's the same actor throughout. Compare the above with this: 
I no longer accept bad old age makeup in films! There is no excuse! And no digital effects either!

I greatly enjoyed Livesey's performance as Clive Candy, but Deborah Kerr's performance as three different characters gives him a run for his money! The subtle changes she makes in how she speaks and carries herself makes these three physically identical characters distinct from each other...and she never looked lovelier. With beautiful photography and sparkling writing, this film was a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment