Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Kings of the Road (1976)

Film: Kings of the Road (181/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Well, okay. This film deserves a much better review than anything I'm able to write. My greatest problem in completing this project is that I have a tendency to watch many of these films back to back and then not write about it until weeks later. In some cases, the details stay burned in my mind as clear as the day I watched it. In others, it fades quickly. Going forward, I'd like to slow down and really savor these films - give them the attention they deserve. In the case of Kings of the Road, I found it visually very beautiful (I would happily frame any number of stills from the film) and the melancholy mood was a perfect fit with those visuals. But the sheer length of the runtime combined with the sparseness of dialogue and the slow pace made me verrrrry sleeeeeepy and I found myself nodding off more than once. I quite enjoyed the individual scenes that I'm able to recall, but I'm afraid my memory of the whole of the film is pretty fuzzy. It's a shame, but I may come back to this film someday (if I ever finish this project!) and maybe I'll come away with a sharper recollection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment