Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Sight & Sound Challenge: Jeanne Dielman 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles (1975)

Film: Jeanne Dielman 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles (180/250)
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

This was maddening to sit through, but perhaps that was the point. This film shows us three days in the life of a woman completely dependent on her routines. We watch her wash dishes, polish shoes, make dinner, sit around, have conversations with her son, and have sex with random men. When he routine is disrupted, she snaps. It's an interesting experiment of a film, but damn is it work to get through! At least I can say I did it. I did enjoy how every shot was framed; meticulous, confined, it really got you into her headspace. Each room felt like a character. I'd be interested in seeing more of director Chantal Akerman's work, maybe her short films? I don't know if I have another 3 and a half hour movie in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment