Monday, January 30, 2017

Kill Zone 2 (2016)

God I love Hong Kong Cinema! I know I'm showing my Eurocentric roots when I say this, but sometimes I forget that it exists. Back in the 90's it was EVERYTHING, but then something new comes along. Suddenly there's a new flavor of the week. But things don't just go away because you stopped paying attention. Lots of 90's bands are still touring with loyal followings. The same goes for Hong Kong Cinema. It is still alive and kicking, kicking, kicking. It's even keeping alive the old exploitation model of taking a popular title, slapping it on a new movie and filling it with stars from all around the world. It's comforting to know that Hong Kong Cinema will always be there for you when you need it. Go enjoy your mumblecore or whatever people are into these days. When you need to watch some serious ass-kicking, Simon Yam et al will be there waiting for you to catch up with everything they've been doing since you left. And unlike Matchbox 20, they've learned a few new tricks since the last time you came around.

No comments:

Post a Comment