Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Playtime (1967)

Film: Playtime (173/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

This film is impeccably designed. Virtually plotless, this film's strengths lie in how beautiful it is in its precision and angles. Director and star Jacques Tati bumbles along through these beautiful sets, breathing some life and whimsy into these otherwise austere scenes. I know the comment is supposed to be about how cold and sterile this world is, but I think it's just so lovely in its severity. So perfect. This was my second viewing of this film, and I still feel like I missed things. I'm not sure how many viewings this film requires to catch all the little gags and take in all those gorgeous sets, but two doesn't seem to be it. Also, this is still the only Tati film I've seen, and considering that I was fortunate enough to see the Tati exhibit at the Cinémathèque Française several years ago it seems a sin that I've left most of his filmography untouched. Time to fix that!

No comments:

Post a Comment