Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: A Canterbury Tale (1944)

Film: A Canterbury Tale (169/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I'll admit this one had me scratching my head a bit. It's not a bad film by any stretch; it's a very gentle and pleasant. As a result, I kept waiting for the "real" plot to start. Our heroes are Alison Smith (Sheila Sim), a "Land Girl," British Army Sergeant Peter Gibbs (Dennis Price), and U.S. Army Sergeant Bob Johnson (John Sweet), who meet in the small town of Chillingbourne during the war. Somebody pours glue on Alison's hair (no, really!) and that's probably the biggest conflict of the film. The rest concerns different aspects of life in the town, from the local children playing at being soldiers, to Alison getting a job, and the continued search for the "glue man." Again, the film isn't bad, or boring, I just realized halfway through that this was probably it. I'm surprised that it outranked so many great films on the list but I guess there's something for everybody. Not great, but not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment