Thursday, December 22, 2016

Little Men (2016)


I can't say for certain, but this film feels like it was directly inspired by Ira Sachs' previous directorial outing, Love is Strange. As much as I enjoyed that other film, what really stood out to me was that ending with the kids skateboarding. I can't remember too many specifics about the plot or even the characters, but those images of golden sunlight, long shadows and the overall feeling of hopefulness that accompanied them, finds its way into my brain fairly often. With its focus on the friendship of two young and openhearted boys, Little Men feels like it is intentionally picking up where that other film left off. The supporting characters of one film are now the leads of this new one. It's all so beautiful and subtle and perfectly honest about how the world works. A film this slight is destined to be forgotten among all the other great cinema of this year, but for me it is near the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment