Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Pickpocket (1959)

Film: Pickpocket (162/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

Another Bresson film...he absolutely dominates this list. I had already seen this one before I started the challenge, and my memory of it was that it was kinda slow and the protagonist annoyed me. But I judged it a little harshly, or maybe I was pleasantly surprised this time since I've found Bresson's films good but not super exciting. But I liked how streamlined this film was. It's the story of a man who is seduced into the world of professional pickpocketing, and those pickpocketing scenes are mesmerizing to watch. It's like watching a choreographed highly technical dance. I don't mind Bresson's non-acting-actors here...this film doesn't demand a lot from its actors. Yeah, the lead and his love interest have the blank stare pretty much down, but the highlight of this film is its construction, its bleak mood, and those pickpocketing scenes! If you're looking for a short and sweet introduction to Bresson's films, this is it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment