Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: L'Age D'or (1930)

Film: L'Age D'or (160/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Hmmm, I don't know. Throughout the course of this challenge I've both applauded and rolled my eyes at Buñuel's work. I've really enjoyed his films that follow a more traditional narrative, even when they're strange and twisted (Viridiana, The Exterminating Angel, Belle de Jour). His films that are straight-up experimental and surreal are a lot more alienating for me. I had no clue what any of this film was supposed to mean or represent until I did some research after the fact. Maybe that's on me, maybe I need to expand my horizons. Or maybe I just know what I like. Either way, sitting through this one kinda felt like a chore. Definitely memorable visuals, but I just didn't know what I was supposed to take away from this experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment