Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Metropolis (1927)

Film: Metropolis (156/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

This is only sort of a rewatch, as this was my first time watching the restored version. This film is absolutely breathtaking in its visuals. Not just the sets either, though they are definitely impressive. The scenes of the workers almost rival Busby Berkeley in their mechanical precision. They trudge along like zombies, swaying in unison. There are SO many of them. I'm so impressed by silent films of this scale...they really went for it, this was new territory. You can't help but applaud that! I think that's why I was so frustrated with all the acclaim The Artist was getting. You resurrect the silent film format, and with decades of film history to pull from you give us the most basic Singin' in the Rain-type love story? Give me Metropolis! Give me Caligari! Give me Melies!

And how terrifying is that damn robot? I can only imagine audiences in 1927 being confronted with that spooky metal face, later replaced by a deranged version of the film's heroine. Yes, it's really long, but it's so iconic. Something every cinephile has to experience at least once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment