Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Paisan (1946)

Film: Paisan (132/250)
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

The second of Roberto Rossellini's "War Trilogy," Paisan didn't quite hit me on the same level as Rome, Open City (and, as I would later find, Germany Year Zero). I didn't dislike it, not at all, but the film's episodic structure kept me at a distance. Some stories didn't resonate with me as much as others, and the ones that really grabbed me felt like they were over too quickly. The opening story, for example, was about a young Sicilian woman befriending an American soldier. It was beautiful and devastating. I don't know how the story could have been expanded, but I wasn't ready to move on to the next vignette. I guess that's the mark of a great storyteller...always leave 'em wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment