Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: L'Eclisse (1962)

Film: L'Eclisse (139/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I struggle with some of the films on this list. Their very presence on this list tells me that they're great, they're important, they're worth my time. But I really couldn't get into this one. Every character was selfish and self-absorbed (or in some cases, really really racist), the plot was slow, and there was nothing for me to really grab onto. And honestly, I'm writing this a number of days after watching it and I'm having trouble even recalling large stretches of it, I was that disinterested. Maybe the point was for the audience to be held at a distance in this bleak, pessimistic film. I don't know.

I still love Monica Vitti's face so much, and perhaps that's why I was so frustrated. I kept studying her face, looking for something. But it was just distant. Again, perhaps that was the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment