Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Jules et Jim (1962)

Film: Jules et Jim (138/250)
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

This is such an interesting film. Before I watched this film for the first time I had already seen films like Vicky Cristina Barcelona and The Dreamers...stylish love triangle type movies. Seeing this film gave those other films context for me. There's something so compelling about a vivacious and dangerous woman. Even without her, the film teases just enough of whatever is going on between Jules and Jim...maybe real, maybe imaginary, but there's something there that's more than brotherly. Catherine (Jeanne Moreau) is a tornado, sucking them in and destroying them. Deadly, but so beautiful in her destruction. This film is stylish as hell, the performances intriguing, and every time I watch this film I'm drawn in all over again. The song she sings sums it up the appeal of this film quite nicely...

No comments:

Post a Comment