Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Earrings of Madame de... (1953)

Film: The Earrings of Madame de... (131/250)
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch


Louise, AKA "Madame de..." is a selfish, self-absorbed, vain woman. She cares only about her own affairs and her possessions. But when she meets an intriguing man who captures her heart (NOT her husband, by the way), is she willing to throw it all away?

When I first saw this film, I was annoyed at the old sexist "man has affair, nothing happens, woman has affair, her life is destroyed" thing, and I allowed myself to doze off. But this time around I was able to overlook that and just get wrapped up in the story. I love the twists and turns it takes, and the leads' chemistry together. Somehow, I ended up feeling sympathetic towards these unlikeable characters. Do they get what they deserve? Who's to say? All I know is that Charles Boyer pulls off that smug attitude like nobody's business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment