Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Film: The Grapes of Wrath (119/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

I live a pretty cushy life. I have a home I can call my own, a steady paycheck, and I never have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. It's easy to take all that for granted. Revisiting The Grapes of Wrath for this challenge made me deeply aware of how easy I have it. The film paints a harrowing time in our country's history, when countless were jobless and hungry, forced out of their homes. Henry Ford's Tom Joad is an everyman who lets the audience see through his eyes the suffering of the unfortunate. The scene where they encounter a man who lost his family through chasing empty promises is especially haunting. It's an impeccable film by the always impeccable John Ford and its depiction of this period of time is one that should be shown in history classes, if only to make high schoolers appreciate everything they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment