Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Beau Travail (1999)

Film: Beau Travail (118/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I had a hard time getting into this one. It took a while before I realized that there probably wasn't going to be much of a plot (except for the last fifteen minutes, suddenly) and I don't know if it was the way it was shot or just the copy I was watching, but it looked almost like motion-smoothing (which I HATE.) But I really appreciated the scenes of the obstacle courses, the physical training, the stretching. It almost looks like a ballet and reminded me of films like Baraka or Samsara in its smooth uniformity. It's fascinating to watch the abilities and limitations of the human body. I just wish it had something else for me to get emotionally involved with. Not bad, but not one I'm likely to revisit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment